Chromebook and Mobile Hotspot Lending
The Chromebook and Mobile Hotspot Lending Program provides computer and internet access to families and households that lack these services. Chromebooks and mobile hotspots are portable and easy to use. Patrons must have a library card in good standing to participate in the program.
- Hialeah Public Libraries lends Chromebook and mobile hotspots to library cardholders aged 18 and older whose accounts are in good standing for at-home use.
- Chromebooks and mobile hotspots may be borrowed for 30 days. Users may renew up to 3 times as long as there are no other users waiting.
- One Chromebook per library card holder and one hotspot per household may be borrowed.
- At the time of checkout library cardholders must sign the libraries’ Chromebook and Mobile Hotspot Lending Statement of Responsibility and Certification of Need.
- An overdue fine will be assessed for late return of Chromebooks and hotspots. The overdue charge is $1.00 per day until returned. Overdue Chromebooks will be blocked and hotspots will have internet access deactivated within 24 hours beyond their due date.
- Chromebooks and hotspots must be checked out and returned at the Circulation Desk up to one hour before the libraries close. Chromebooks and hotspots cannot be returned at any of the libraries’ bookdrops.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does a Chromebook have Microsoft Office?
No. Instead Chromebook devices offer access to all of Google's apps including Docs, Sheets and Slides which are equivalent applications to Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Is there any data limit?
In general there is no data limit. However, the service provider may lower speed or limit the amount of data that its network can handle for a short time.
Is content filtered on the Chromebooks and hotspots?
How can I be sure my personal data won't be accessible to other users after return?
Chromebooks delete all personal data, files and browsing history each time the lid is closed, you exit your session or the computer is turned off. You are advised to transfer any content created on the Chromebook to a flash drive or your Google Drive. HPL does not provide user information to the service provider.
How much does it cost?
Borrowing these devices is free! There is an overdue charge of $1 per day for late returns. Only in case of loss or damage to the devices users will be charged replacement costs.
|Chromebook and Mobile Hotspot Kit Contents||Damage/Lost Fees|
|Mobile Hotspot Case||$3.00|