Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if I receive a Notice of Violation (NOV)?

If you receive an NOV, carefully review the notice received to see what the violation is for and take action to correct the issue as promptly as possible. If you have any questions regarding how to correct the violation, please contact the Inspector who issued the NOV for more information and further assistance. The contact information can be found on this webpage.

What if I need more time to correct the violation or make the payment?

If you are making reasonable faith efforts to bring your property into compliance, an extension can be requested with the Code Compliance Inspector who issued the violation. You may also walk into the Department to make a written request for the extension. Please find the extension request under our “FORMS” tab.

How can I make a payment?

Payments can be made in person, using your preferred payment method.

They may also be mailed in to:

City of Hialeah

Code Compliance Division

PO Box 110040

Hialeah, FL 33011-0040

What if I disagree with the violation I received?

If you do not agree with the violation or think it was wrongfully given, you always have the right to request to appear before a Special Magistrate hearing and appeal your case. The request to appear at the hearing can be found under our “FORMS” tab. The appeal request can be turned in in-person, via mail, or e-mailed into Please keep in mind the request has to be filed with the department within 15 days of the NOV being issued, or 20 days if the NOV was sent via mail.

I reported a Code violation and would like a status update; who do I contact?

Please get in touch with the Code Compliance Officer for the area (the map can be seen by clicking here; the contact information can be seen on our webpage.) You may also call our general line: (305) 883-5832.

Shouldn’t I have received a warning or courtesy notice first?

We abide by what the City of Hialeah Code of Ordinance specifies. Depending on which section code the violation is for will determine if it is required to receive a warning before having a Notice of Violation issued. If it is not required by the Ordinance to issue a warning, it will be at the discretion of the Code Compliance Officer. Please be aware the decision to issue an NOV directly may be due to injurious or life-threatening conditions that may be harmful to owners, occupants, or the general public.

What happens if I don’t comply with my violation?

While our mission is compliance, and we would like to avoid any enforcement proceedings, failure to pay the initial civil penalty and/or correct the violation by the prescribed deadline may result in additional fines and a potential lien on the property.