The Young Leaders with Character (YLC) STEAM Ahead program offers afterschool care Monday through Friday for teens in grades 6 to 8 at three convenient locations in the city.
This program provides families with high quality out-of-school services in a safe, fun, and encouraging environment for FREE.
- Enrichment activities
- Homework assistance
- STEM project-based learning activities
We've designed the YLC STEAM Ahead program for teens who are in need of quality afterschool care with a strong educational focus.
Partnering Schools and Locations
All of our sites are conveniently located within the City of Hialeah. They include:
- Henry H. Filer Middle School
531 W29th Street
Hialeah, FL 33012
- Hialeah Middle School
6027 E 7th Avenue
Hialeah, FL 33013
- Palm Springs Middle School
1025 W 56th Street
Hialeah, FL 33012
Days and Hours of Operation
The YLC STEAM Ahead program is open Monday through Friday and follows the M-DCPS calendar. All of the STEAM Ahead sites are open from 3:55 to 6:55 p.m.
After school Registration
Registration is simple! To register your teen, simply bring us:
- Completed registration packet
- Copy of your child's birth certificate or passport
- Copy of your child's last report card and /or school acceptance letter for incoming students
- Current photo of your child
- Proof of address (such as a current utility bill)
- Your child's student ID number
Our staff includes state-certified teachers, trained tutors and counselors. There are CPR and first aid certified staff at every site. Staff meet Level 2 screening requirements as described in S. 1012.32 (Florida Statutes).
We contract with a diverse and talented group of community-based instructors for enrichment activities. Please ask us what fun, enriching activities are upcoming this year in both after-school and summer.
Program accommodations include a Master Inclusion Teacher, a behavioral analyst consultant for individual cases as needed, as well as daily inclusion aides and trained staff on-site to apply behavior modification techniques for children with behavior challenges and educational strategies for those who have learning difficulties and attention deficits.
We offer inclusion support at sites if needed and our after-school and summer staff-to-child ratios are 1:15.
YLC Family Member Services
Activities for parents and guardians are also an integral part of the YLC program. At the YLC, parents and guardians are encouraged to continue learning through workshops and classes offered.
- Workshops and training through the Parent Academy Resources.
- Free ESL classes for parents or guardians whose teen is enrolled in the YLC program. Parents can participate in either classes offered through the Hialeah Public Libraries, or at one of our sites in a class setting with the Special Programs Instructor.
Registration and weekly activities are completely FREE due to funding provided by the 21st Century Community Learning Center Grant.
For more information, visit the Education and Community Services Department to learn more about our out of school programs located at 7400 W 24th Avenue, 2nd floor or contact us at 305-818-9143.
Learn more about the 21st Century Community Learning Centers programs.
Last updated 01/23/19