The Young Leaders with Character (YLC) Academic Achievers program offers afterschool care Monday-Friday for teens in grades 6-12 at two convenient locations in the city.
This program provides families with a high quality out-of-school services in a safe, fun, and encouraging environment for FREE.
- College prep classes
- Enrichment classes
- Fitness and recreation
- Homework assistance
- STEM project-based learning activities
We've designed the Young Leaders with Character - Academic Achievers program for teens who are in need of quality after-school care with a strong educational focus.
Coming Soon- 2018-2019 YLC-Academic Achievers Narrative and Continuing Improvement Form.
Partnering Schools and Locations
All of our sites are conveniently located within the City of Hialeah. They include:
- City of Hialeah Educational Academy
2590 W 76th Street
Hialeah, FL 33016
- Jose Marti MAST Academy
5701 W 24th Avenue
Hialeah, FL 33016
Days and Hours of Operation
The YLC Academic Achievers program is open Monday through Friday and follows the Miami-Dade County Public Schools calendar.
- City of Hialeah Educational Academy: 2:35 to 6:05 p.m.
- Jose Marti MAST Academy: 2:25 to 6:12 p.m.
Registration is simple! To register your teen, simply bring us:
- A completed registration packet
- A copy of your child's birth certificate or passport
- A copy of your child's last report card and/or school acceptance letter for incoming students
- A current photo of your child
- Proof of address (such as a current utility bill)
- Your child's student ID number
Our staff includes state-certified teachers, trained tutors and counselors. There are CPR and first aid certified staff at every site. Staff meet Level 2 screening requirements as described in S. 1012.32 (Florida Statutes).
We contract with a diverse and talented group of community-based instructors for enrichment activities. Please ask us what fun, enriching activities are upcoming this year in both after-school and summer.
Program accommodations include a Master Inclusion Teacher, a behavioral analyst consultant for individual cases as needed, as well as daily inclusion aides and trained staff on-site to apply behavior modification techniques for children with behavior challenges and educational strategies for those who have learning difficulties and attention deficits.
We offer inclusion support at sites if needed and our after-school and summer staff-to-child ratios are 1:15.
YLC Family Member Services
Activities for parents and guardians are also an integral part of the YLC program. At the YLC, parents and guardians are encouraged to continue learning through workshops and classes offered.
- Workshops and training through the Parent Academy Resources.
- Free ESL classes for parents or guardians whose teen is enrolled in the YLC program. Parents can participate in either classes offered through the Hialeah Public Libraries, or at one of our sites in a class setting with the Special Programs Instructor.
Registration and Weekly Activities are completely FREE due to funding provided by the 21st Century Community Learning Center Grant.
Program Highlights- Coming Soon!
For more information, visit the Education and Community Services Department to learn more about our out of school programs located at 7400 W. 24th Avenue, 2nd Floor or contact us at 305-818-9143.
Learn more about the 21st Century Community Learning Centers programs.
Last Updated 09/05/2018