Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the John F. Kennedy (JFK) Library. Please review the application instructions and program requirements.
General Program Requirements
- Volunteers must commit to give at least 30 hours of volunteer work. Those seeking less do not qualify.
- Your completed Notarized Volunteer Application (PDF) and other paperwork is submitted in person to the Library Volunteer Coordinator at the JFK Library, 190 West 49th Street.
- The approval process for volunteer applications usually takes 2 to 3 weeks.
- Volunteers will be called by the Library Volunteer Coordinator to setup a Dewey Easy orientation and tour, as well as a work schedule.
- Once volunteers have completed their hours, they will receive a letter from the library stating the number of volunteer hours completed.
High School Students
High school students usually serve as much as 75 hours of community service as a requirement for graduation.
- Students must be 18 years old or over.
- Students between the ages of 16 and 18 may apply only with parental permission; use the Notarized Minor Volunteer Application (PDF) to apply.
- Students must submit a completed school's activity log sheet, any additional school forms, and the appropriate volunteer application. The activity log sheet must include the following signatures:
- Community designee / librarian
Court Mandated Volunteers
Minor felons have varied court ordered hours they need to complete, and can require as much as 65 to 100 hours. Only minor traffic violations and DUI are accepted. Theft and violent altercation are not accepted.
Juvenile offenses are not accepted in the library and are referred for consideration to the Early Prevention Program in Parks and Recreation at 305-824-5703.
Court mandated volunteer files should contain:
- Copy of your advocate form (which includes the charge)
- Notarized Volunteer Application (PDF)
All other volunteers must attach a letter to the Library Director stating why they want to volunteer and their level of commitment, as well as the Notarized Volunteer Application (PDF).