If the library does not own a book that you need, Hialeah Public Libraries (HPL) will try to borrow that item from another library for you.
Placing a Request
To place an interlibrary loan (ILL) request, contact the reference desk at John F. Kennedy Memorial Library.
Requests must include complete bibliographic information, such as author, title and publication date. Also include your name, library card number, and telephone number.
You can also print a request form (PDF) and submit it to the reference desk in person.
Notification & Status
Patron will be notified by phone of the arrival of requested items. Items not picked up by the due date will be sent back to the ILL office for their return to the lending library. Patrons will also be informed when requested materials are not available.
HPL offers ILL service to library users for a fee of $2 for filled requests.
We always try to find other libraries that lend their items for free. However, this is not always possible and additional loan charges may apply.
We will not proceed with the request until the patron notifies us that they accept responsibility for the additional charge.
Patrons may request renewals by phone at 305‑821-2700 two days before the due date.
Renewal requests may or may not be granted by the lending library. Items that cannot be renewed must be returned immediately.
Any Hialeah resident library cardholder in good standing is eligible to use ILL.
Patrons with reciprocal library cards and non-verified addresses are ineligible for the service.
You can make up to two ILL requests per month.
In order to comply with the American Library Association Interlibrary Loan Code, items published within the past 12 months and reference works owned by the library system cannot be requested.
- Materials must be returned by the indicated due date.
- Patrons must follow any restrictions placed by the lending library, such as materials are for in library use only, cannot be photocopied, etc.
- The patron agrees to take proper care of the materials and assumes responsibilities for replacement or repair costs if materials are lost or damaged.
- Materials cannot be left in book-drops. Borrowers must return ILL items in person to the Circulation desk at JFK Memorial Library.
- Payment for lost or overdue materials are the sole responsibility of the patron. Overdue interlibrary loan materials and financial charges will result in a suspension of borrowing privileges in this library system.