A Message From Your Police Department
Mayor Carlos Hernandez and Police Chief Sergio Velazquez’ goal to make Hialeah a better and safer community continues to be a success. Hialeah’s overall crime rate has continued to decrease over the past years.
With your help, we have continued our excellent track record of keeping crime under control while remaining the
Safest major city in Florida (a "major city" has a population of 200,000 or greater).
Effective Crime Prevention does not happen alone, it is a partnership between the police and the community. Ultimately, no one knows your street or neighborhood better than you do. If something feels out of place or if you see something unusual, go with your gut, and notify the police. We each share a responsibility for keeping a watchful eye as we are reminded of the following basic crime prevention tips:
- Report suspicious or unusual activity immediately by calling 911.
- You can remain completely anonymous.
- Get to know your neighbors and watch out for each other’s property.
- Make sure all entry points of your home are properly secured with quality locks and protected by a security system whenever possible.
- Always lock your vehicles and never leave valuable items inside or in view.
- Take pride in your neighborhood and your community.
- In conclusion, taking a few minutes to call the police whenever suspicious activities are seen, may not only help prevent a crime, but potentially even solve a crime. In this day and age, no city can afford to be complacent.
Keeping Hialeah safe is everyone’s responsibility, so let’s keep working together.