Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need to be a citizen to work for the City of Hialeah?
Generally, with the exception of a Police Officer, which requires citizenship, one can either be a U.S. Citizen or Legal Resident Alien. Firefighter applicants may be legal resident aliens.
- Do I need to reside in the City of Hialeah to apply for a job?
No, you need not be a resident of the City of Hialeah to either apply or work for the City.
- Can one application be used to apply for several positions?
No, each position requires that an application be filled out.
- Within what time frame can one apply for a position?
Generally, when a position is announced there is a two-week period from the posting date in which to apply. Hence, announcement will indicate deadline dates.
- Can I submit proof of my requirements at a later time if I do not have documentation with me at the time I fill out my application?
All proof of requirements must be submitted at the time of application.
- Do all positions applied for require an examination be taken?
An examination must be taken and passed for every position applied for, and is required to be placed on an Eligibility List.
- What type of examinations does the City of Hialeah give?
The examinations given at the City of Hialeah could be written, oral, performance, typing or any combination thereof.
- Are there study guides for every examination?
No, not every examination will have a study guide.
- If the position requires more than one type of examination and I fail one of those portions, will I be able to retake the part that I failed?
No, all portions of an examination must be passed in order to be placed on an Eligibility List.
- Can I reapply for the same position if I fail the examination?
Yes, provided that the position is re-announced.
- What is an Eligibility List?
An Eligibility List is a list that consists of all those persons who have taken an examination and have passed and is arranged in the order of highest to lowest passing score for a specific position.
- What is a passing score on an examination?
A score of 70% or higher is required on all examinations to be considered as having passed.
- If someone scores the same as I do, how is the tie broken?
When two or more persons make the same grade , the applicant filing first shall be placed ahead of the others making the same grade. If the application dates are the same, then the order shall be determined by the drawing of names.
- How much time do I have to complete a written examination?
Generally, there is a maximum of two hours in which to complete a written examination.
- When will I be notified of my test scores?
Notifications of test scores are generally given within a 2 to 4 week period by letter.
- Can I get my test scores over the phone?
No, test scores are not given over the phone.
- Can I review my examination?
No, review of examinations are not permitted.
- What is Civil Service Status?
Civil Service Status is considered as "permanent status" within the City of Hialeah after being regularly appointed from an Eligibility List after serving a probationary period to a position which normally involves year round service.
- What is the process for hiring from an Eligibility List?
The City of Hialeah uses the rule of three, which is that the top three candidates on an Eligibility List must be considered for appointment to the position under consideration. Eligible candidates not selected from the top three shall be returned to the Eligibility List in accordance with their relative grades. Such eligibles shall be re-certified in groups of three eligibles, and if not appointed, may be considered for a total of four times and then their names may be removed from the Eligibility List.
- How long is an Eligibility List good for?
There is no specific time frame as long as there are names on the Eligibility List for consideration the list is active. Once all of the names on the Eligibility List have been considered for appointment and either have been appointed or removed is the list considered as exhausted.
- What do I need to do to use my Veteran's Points?
A copy of the applicant's DD214 is required to be considered for Veteran's Points.