Effective July 1, 2021, the State of Florida Governor signed into law CS/SB 60, which prohibits municipal and county code enforcement officers from initiating investigations of code violations based upon an anonymous complaint. It requires that an individual making a complaint of a potential violation provide his or her name and address to the local government body before an investigation may occur.
The prohibition does not apply if the code inspector or code enforcement officer has reason to believe the alleged violation presents an imminent threat to public health, safety, or welfare or imminent destruction of habitat or sensitive resources.
How do I report a violation?
1. Gather Information
The more information the better! Please gather the following:
• Exact address of the issue/incident
• Owner name, if applicable
• Type of violation (graffiti, overgrowth, work being done without permits, etc.)
• Description of the problem
2. Report the Issue to Code Compliance
• In person at City Hall: 501 Palm Ave, 2nd Floor, Hialeah, FL 33010 (Hours of operation: Monday- Friday 7:30 AM – 3:30 PM)
• Call the Code Compliance Division: (305) 883-5832. (Same hours of operation apply.)