Special Population Center
The City of Hialeah’s Edgar J. Hall Special Population Center, located at Bucky Dent Park, offers a day program for adults with developmental disabilities.
Parents of participants benefit from the shared community life that revolves around the center as well as a safe haven for their adults while they are away at work.
The program offers a variety of activities, including:
- Development of personal daily living skills
- Educational classes which include financial literacy, nutrition, technology and art
- Social skills and fun social events
- Recreational and educational field trips and activities
- Special Olympics training and competitions
Applicants must meet the following admission criteria:
- Be between the ages of 18-65
- Must agree to participate in all independent and group activities (Social Events, and Special Olympics. Recreation and Educational field trips are optional)
- Eat with minimal or no assistance
- Be free of any maladaptive behaviors (physical/verbal aggression, non compliance, etc.)
- Be able to respond to staff’s direction and independently stay with group while in the community
- Be able to toilet independently (Staff can facilitate verbal cues or toileting schedules - No diapers)
- Be diagnosed with a Developmental Disability (cognitive impairment) in accordance with the Department of Family and Children services standards
- Be certified by a licensed physician to be free of communicable disease including Tuberculosis and physically capable to participate in the program
- Must have a recent physical examination by a licensed physician within 60 days of date on application (medial exams are to be renewed annually)
- Function within a 1 to 10 staff or better: student ratio; if applicant requires closer supervision a case-by-case evaluation will be done
- Provide their own transportation
Upon receipt of all required admission material and subsequent to the initial interview with an applicant, the City of Hialeah will determine eligibility for admission. Prior to admission, the applicant must have completed all admission requirements.
The decision to admit or deny is based on the applicant’s ability to meet all required criteria. In order to determine whether this is the most appropriate setting for the participant, admission is for a 30-day trial period (start date is to be determined by the City).
Hours & Fees
The weekly program operates Monday through Friday in two different session lengths: 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The program also offers a 3 and 4 day program from 8:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
Both sessions require a $30 registration fee.
|8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. weekly program for Hialeah Residents
|8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. weekly program for Non-Hialeah Residents||$125|
|8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. weekly program for Hialeah Residents||$140|
|8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. weekly program for Non- Hialeah Residents||$155|
|8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. 3 day a week program for Hialeah Residents||$66|
|8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. 3 day a week program for Non-Hialeah Residents||$75|
|8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. 4 day a week program for Hialeah Residents||$88|
|8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. 4 day a week program for Non-Hialeah Residents||$100|
To learn more about the programs at the Special Population Center, contact the Center at 305-824-5705
Digital media is a venue that offers multiple channels for interaction between differently-abled persons and their environment but with this interaction comes the high risk of exploitation and theft.
Please click on the link below provided by the National Security Education Association to learn how to help protect those who are at a greater risk.