The STEP Ahead youth enrichment program offers free afterschool and summer camp activities for high school students with special needs. In partnership with Miami-Dade County Public Schools (M-CDPS), the program facilitates the transition from high school to the adult world through:
- Job training activities
- Financial literacy activities
- Life skills activities and social skill lessons
- Civic Engagement activities
- Field Trips
Our goal is to prepare the participants with the tools and experience necessary in order to ensure a comfortable and successful transition.
Students with intellectual disabilities between the ages of 14 and 22 are eligible for the program.
Location, Days and Hours of Operation
STEP Ahead is offered year-round at:
7400 W 24th Avenue, Hialeah, 33016
The school-year program follows the M-DCPS calendar and is offered Monday through Friday from 2:30 PM to 6:00 PM.
The summer camp program operates from June 12, 2023 though July 27, 2023, Monday through Thursday from 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM.
Summer camp will be closed on Tuesday July 4th, 2023 in observance of Independence Day.
Our staff includes state-certified teachers, trained counselors and program leaders. There are CPR and first aid certified staff the site. Staff meet Level 2 screening requirements as described in F.S. 1012.32 (Florida Statutes).
Program participants have job training opportunities at various sites throughout the city during the school year.
Registration for After School and Summer Camp Program and Fees
To register please visit our office located at 900 E 56th Street, Building 4, Hialeah FL 33010 You will need to bring the following documents to our office to complete your registration:
Parents may be required to attach or bring the following Required Documents to completed registration if needed:
- Copy of student’s birth certificate or passport
- Copy of the student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP)
- Copy of utility bill
- Current photo of student
- Current report card
- There is a quarterly non-refundable registration fee of $50.00 required for all participants for the afterschool year:
- Quarter 1- August 17-October 26, 2023
- Quarter 2- October 30, 2023- January 18, 2024
- Quarter 3- January 22-April 9, 2024
- Quarter 4- April 11-June 6, 2024
- There is a one time non-refundable registration fee of $50.00 required for all participants for the summer camp (June 10, 2024- July 25, 2024).
For questions please call 305-687-2650.
Free transportation is available from participating schools : Hialeah Senior Highschool, Hialeah Miami Lakes Senior High School, Barbara Goleman Senior High School, and Hialeah Gardens Senior High School to our program site.
Transportation from the program site to the home for students is only available for students who live in Hialeah, Hialeah Gardens, and Miami Lakes.
Opens a New Window.
The City of Hialeah’s STEP Ahead Youth Enrichment program is funded in part by The Children’s Trust. The Trust is a dedicated source of revenue established by voter referendum to improve the lives of children and families in Miami-Dade County.