- City Government
- Boards & Commissions
- Charter School Oversight Committee
Charter School Oversight Committee
The charter school oversight committee shall establish the date, time and place of its meetings.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
View Charter School Oversight Resolutions
The charter school oversight committee shall consist of the mayor and all seven councilmembers. The Mayor and each councilmember shall serve on the Charter School Oversight Committee without additional compensation. Each term of service for each member shall coincide with the term of office of each elected official.
About the Committee
The City establishes a Charter School Oversight Committee with the intent and purpose to provide supervision of the operation of City-sponsored charter schools through charters granted by the School Board of Miami-Dade County.
The Charter School Oversight Committee shall oversee the operations of the City-sponsored charter school. Accordingly, the Charter School Oversight Committee may delegate daily management of a City-sponsored charter school.
The enumerated powers and duties of the charter school oversight committee for charters granted by the School Board of Miami-Dade County to the City are as follows:
- Provide oversight and supervision for all of the charter school operations;
- Establish policies regarding educational philosophy, and oversee assessment and accountability procedures to ensure that student performance standards are met or exceeded;
- Provide oversight and guidance in the creation and modification of the curriculum and approving an annual budget;
- Employ or remove personnel, including, but not limited to, the director / principal, teachers, support staff and technical and maintenance personnel or enter into an agreement with a charter school management company to exercise this responsibility;
- Adopt rules, policies, standards and programs that are consistent with all applicable federal, state and local law and all rules and regulations that are necessary or desirable for the efficient operation and general improvement of a City-sponsored charter school; and
- Follow the City procurement procedures and spending limitations that require approval as provided in the Charter and Code.